Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am trying to get my 2015 f150 to charge my camper

Customer Question

i am trying to get my 2015 f150 to charge my camper batteries while driving i can not find in my owners manual where to put a fuse or relay to do this
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 10000 miles on pickup i take a test light to the socket no power for battery charging of trailer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i can fix this if someone can tell me where to put the fuse and relay to energize the socket
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i knoe of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The trailer camper adapter gets its power from the trailer tow module and its powered by two fuses you need to check, they are the F36 and F35 fuse both located in the under hood fuse panel. The power wire out to the camper batteries is the Orange wire . See the enclosed wiring diagram in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TB%20jun%2018.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i have everything working at my trailer receptical exept for charging my camper bateery while driving down the road which fuse or relays control this
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The charging wire at the connector is the orange wire from the trailer tow module. Did you check the two fuse I mentioned?

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

You are working with a 7 pin trailer connector correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
seven wire plug which post is the charging post
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, The charge wire is pin #5 in the connector. See it in this link, I have marked it for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Pin%20%235%20Jun%2018.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
still need to know how to get juice to that post
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay did you ever check the fuse I mentioned this morning and if so where the okay?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
fuses are in and ok
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay as I said, the power to the connector come from the Trailer brake module so you need to take you volt meter and start first with making sure pins #1 and #2 as shown in the wiring diagram I sent you have key on engine running battery voltage at the moduel. If they do then you need to check the orange wire (pin #3) coming out of the module for battery voltage with the engine running which feeds the #5 pin at the connector.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
where is the power module
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Its under the drive side of the dash. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Trailer%20Mod%20Jun%2018.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no voltage at the number 3 connector
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay if you are sure you have power at pins #1 and #2 and no power out at #3 then the module has failed.