HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Still having problems with the 4x4

Customer Question

Still having problems with the 4x4
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have replaced the actuator on the transfer case no Chang have also replaced the module under the dash still no change
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what is the system doing? Does the 4x4 lights come on when starting the vehicle and prove out? Do they come on when you shift to 4x4 and do you hear the transfer case make noise and dash indicate a 4x4 shift. Are the hubs not locking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The come on and go off but when u switch it to 4x4 they just blink and the transfer case never shifts when I do a system functions test I can hear a buzzing noise like its tryin to shift but won't shift I took the actuator off and manually shift it in and the hubs lock so it has to be electrical cus it Keeps popping this codes p1812 p1828 p1876
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Can you post the 17 digit vin number for the truck, if you give me a few minutes to review the service information ill tell you what to check and if you like we can still do a phone call

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

From what im reading with your current codes you have a couple different issues. First code talks about an issue with the wiring, Mode selector switch or a bad 4x4 module. The second code discusses an issue with an open circuit for a 4x4 relay. There are two relays for the 4x4 system in the underhood fuse panel by the battery. Check all fuses and inspect the relays for being fully seated or any mosiure/corrision. Try swapping out with a couple of good known relays. The last code has to do with locking the front hubs which is most likely either an issue with the IWE solenoid that locks the front hubs or an issue with the vacuum pump that supplies vacuum to the solenoid. Inspect the under vehicle wiring for any damage going to the transfer case as well.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

If you still would like to make a phone call let me know and ill accept your phone call request

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea if u could call me that would be nice
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've checked all connections and they look good there's no damage to anything under the truck or anything I'll switch relays but I'm sure the ones in there r ok
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

That would explain a flashing of the light or an issue with the 4x4 lights or an issue with the module itself. The phone call wont go thru

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok replaced the relays in slots 2 and 58 and still nothing lights still flash
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm goin to swap out the switch as well
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Then you will need to clear the codes, have a dealer style scan tool to run an on demand test of the 4x4 system and be able to monitor the input of the transfer case motor and mode switch to identify the issue and test the correct circuit.You have 3 different codes for 3 different parts of the 4x4 system so long as the module is getting power and ground id suspect a module issue which would need to be reprogrammed when replaced by a dealer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I replaced the switch and no change the module is brand new as well
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

the 4x4 computer module or the transfer case motor, if you changed the module it has to be programmed, its blank when new

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help? The question remains listed as open until it is rated