James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I had just done a bunch of work on my Ford Super Duty

Customer Question

I had just done a bunch of work on my Ford Super Duty Powerstroke Diesel and went to town a few hours away to get a boat was bringing the boat home started having power problems, the truck drove to the point that it would idle along side of the road but would not give any power it acted like it had hesitation when trying to take off we sat there a few minutes rev the engine and it's suddenly acted like a turbo went out making a clicking noise upon what sounded like a turbo wheel then it went away we put the truck in gear Holloway went about 50 feet and then the truck just kind of shut off and wouldn't start again. Got the truck towed home tried cranking the truck and can get no starting out of the truck I can hear the oil pump for the diesel cycling when I push in the Schrader valve on the fuel cooler I have fuel come out how can I check the high pressure fuel pump to see if that might be the issue or do you have other routes you would suggest first
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not the oil pump...the rail mounted fuel pump...sorry speech to text
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

hello, what year is this vehicle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke Diesel
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

do you have a way to test for codes or anything?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tons!
P0626. Had that one for awhile. Alternator field circuit to high
P0087 fuel tail system preasure to low
P0278 cylider 6 contribution balance
P2291 injector control pressure to low engine cranking
U3f02
U3f22
B07ff
C36ff
B1187
Thats about it!Backgrounds just had the motor apart a month ago to replace cylider 8 due to a bent connecting rod ...smashed lifter and damaged piston....was running ok till this...had a loud rythmic squeak for a few days...only when warmed up...not hot...but normal running temp .... then this happened...the turbo sound was like there was a fin from the turbo bouncing around in it...but then it went away...the motor revved up normal and then we decided to move it....dies completly after that...mind you it had a 26 foot cabin cruiser behind it when it died...was towing under load.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Does your scan tool monitor FRP pressure while cranking.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I dont believe so...it is a mini max
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a way to monitor low pressure fuel? with a fuel pressure tester. The fuel pressure should be between 3-8PSI

Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

The high pressure fuel needs to be 5000PSI in order for the engine to run. Were the fuel filters just replaced or anything?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
when we rebuilt that part of the motor we did fuel filters I was on here trying to get help repairing the motor at that point is this something that could have went bad again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Right before Memorial Day, we had a stint of bad gas go through the transfer tank or I should say diesel go through a transfer tank which rendered us dead at the house where we had to drain the gas tank and redo system which I believe you helped us with at that point we then drove the truck from Ohio to Kentucky and back pulling a camper with no incident so I assume fuel filters and what not should be fine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

On the frame mounted fuel pump is there a gap between the plastic cap and aluminum body? Also does the fuel drain sit flush against the pump?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything is as it should be based on the codes is there a way to test the high preasure pump
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

To test the high pressure fuel pump you need a scan tool that can monitor data. This way you can actually se what the FRP pid is doing and if the fuel pump is building pressure or not. If air somehow got into the system it may need to be bled to get the system primed again. The only test on the high pressure fuel pump without a scan tool is a leak test. The leak test is done by draining the oil and cycling the key to see if the fuel pump is leaking into the engine crankcase. If the low pressure fuel pump has correct pressure and there is no air in the system then you either have a bad HPFP or FRP sensor can be at fault.Also make sure fuse 74 hasn't blown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fuse 74 was fine, we need some starting fluid on the intake side of the air for Turbo and it acted like it wanted to start it coughed and choked like it normally would but obviously did not start does that tell us anything more
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
Not really. If you remove the top fuel filter cover is it full of fuel?