James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

I have a 2015 F150 with a 3.5L Ecoboost. Last night when I

Customer Question

I have a 2015 F150 with a 3.5L Ecoboost. Last night when I started it the dash was "dead" and the windos wouldn't operate for about 3-5 minutes. When the dash finally lit up there was a wrench icon. The truck sat for about 45 minutes between starts and only has about 14k miles. Since it was late I drove the truck home about 5 mi, shut it off, restarted, and the wrench was gone.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tested the dashboard light bulbs?
Customer: It wasn't just lights. It was in limp mode I believe. no tach, no radio
JA: What is the model of your '15 Ford?
Customer: F150
JA: Huh?
Customer: F150 supercab, 3.5L turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've called dealer but they can't get me in until next week...4 days. I am supposed to leave on vacation for 1500 mile roundtrip in 1.5 weeks. Likely going to take 2010 Camry with 125k miles now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It does shift hard from 5-4 but this seems common w/o the warning light
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you have a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have an older (2005) OBD1 and OBD2 code reader but have had no further issues. I'm not sure if this tool will connect to my 2015 F150. Does it have a "standard" OBD2 diagnostics port? I have an appointment at my local Ford dealer tomorrow and hope that they can find/fix the problem. Thanks.
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
This does use an OBD 2 diagnostic port. It usually depends if the scan tool is up to date to it should be able to test standard code. Usually power issues happens inside the battery fuse panel.