Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 1999 F 150 Ford Lariat model time running lights

Customer Question

I have a 1999 F 150 Ford Lariat model time running lights will not go out without disconnecting the battery post I'm also having trouble with my ACC clutch not engaging occurrences happen at the same time
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: shifting my air conditioner clutch??
JA: What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: F150 Lariat
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: check fuses number 9 and number 6 disconnected daylight running sensor under left side and front of radiator disconnected modular drl on top of passenger side of Dash
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: replace the number 4 and 5relays in fuse box under dash
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, So the A/c clutch isn't engaging and the parking lights are staying on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both happened at same if I pull the the number 6 fuse to disconnect the DRL then the headlights stay on
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have to pull the number 3 fuse
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this is not going to be an easy I have replace the light switch disconnected the DRL resistor from under the front driver side I have disconnected the drl module and the pop up on the passenger side Dash
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ames you bentree stuff on this one
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have replace relay number 5 ACC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have replaced fuse number under dash... a.c. clutch.. del relay... but the cruise control is also on that and it continues to work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuse # ***** dash fuse panel
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where did you go???
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When should I expect an reply on this issue
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please be more of an expert than asking me if I have trouble shifting my ACC clutch.or simply repeating the fact that I have AC clutch that won't engage and daytime running lights that won't go off and they both happen at the same time.. thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

I see you have requested a new tech. Would you like me to help?

With the headlight switch unplugged the headlights remain on?

Are the parking lights also on?

When the headlights turn off and work normal, then the AC compressor will engage and will begin working?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The drl remain on at all times when the drl fuse is pulled the head lights remain on as drl feeds of headlightd.. it's the parking lights that won't go out.. have been able to engage acc clutch regardles of parking lights activities.. I have unplugged drl rresistrr under truck near driver head light and also from pop-up panel on pass dash.. changing and #5 relay under dash fuse box's no avail.. cruise control does work..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should read haven't been able to engage acc clutch..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the only way to turn the parking lights off is to disengage power from the battery
. I put on a new light switch still nothing and yes the lights stay on when the switch is dropped from the light switch which tells me that there is no problem with swich
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put Gage on low side of acc.. it shows 90psi.. will not accept 134a..

Okay lets address the parking lights first.

This is how Ford suggests to diagnose this.

Since they stay on with the headlight switch unplugged that means the circuit is shorted to power. With the parking lights on, but commanded off and the vehicle off. Remove fuses one by one till you find the fuse which shuts off the lights and let me know which fuse it is so I can find the connection between those circuits.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Under hood fuse kills parking lights but it's good because that's the Parklands and auto lamps

Which fuse number under the hood? Is it number 6?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is fuse number 6 I left that off of my reply but fuse number 9 will not kill the DRL or the fog lights

Okay I am confused on which lights are staying on with the headlights in the off position and the key removed. There are:

• low beams
  • high beams
  • DRL
  • fog lights
  • parking lights
  • turn signal lights

DRLs are only the headlights on at a reduced power. Can you list off all the lights staying illuminated?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The parking lights... but sometimes if I pull #6.. the headlights will come on but I had read that the DRL fuse off the headlights now if I call the number 9 fuse with the fog lights on and the parking lights on they do not go off so that's telling me that number 9 says it's feeding the fog lights and the DRL but pulling the fuse 9 will not kill them
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the point is I don't know how I can turn fog lights on and the parking lights or DRL being on without being called for with a pulled number 9 fuse
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay disregard the last statement because the number 9 fuse does kill the fog lights
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
which brings us back to concentrating on number 6
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a F150 wiringdiagram book and it tells me that fuse number 6 in the battery box is a tan and white wire

Okay so the key is off the parking lamps are stuck on, you can remove the headlight switch and the parking lamps remain on, you open the hood and remove fuse 6, the parking lights go out, but the headlights then turn on? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but not every time will the headlights come on when I pull number 6

With the headlamp switch removed the brown wire still has power, correct?

Has anyone done any wire altering on this vehicle?

The DRLs do not use fuse 6 so for now no focus is on the DRL circuits.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there was just a 7. trailer hook up but that's all been disconnected now until I find the source of the problem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a standard 7-point trailer hookup

The brown wire that powers the parking lights from the headlights switch, it is circuit 14, I want to disconnect it in different areas to find the section of this circuit which is shorted to power. Does your wiring book have the connector numbers, connector locations, and connector pin charts?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but first I have popped the battery circuit box apart I have noticed some fuel fuse burn can I move that number 612 fuse location not used like 12 through 17 are completely open could it possibly be in the fuse setting
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
show me how to extract the number 6 fuel setting I have the bottom off a battery fuse box I know it's the tan and white wire but do I extract it with pressure from the top the fuse when I put it in testing it it act like it had a burn spot not making a good connection
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay I'm satisfied that it's a good strong few setting coming out the number six and putting the box back together now you direct me on the pens I'm showing like going down to AC 2:45 and another appointment at 2:41 Alta and going back to the main light switch
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
moose mug diagram on page 13 2 Sosa tan and white wire coming out of the number 615 amps but it also shows a park lamp relaycould that be an issue

I do not believe your method of diag and mine is going to work. I feel like this would take me days to help based all the various things about the truck you are telling me about. I am going to opt out and see if another wants to help. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I said early on this wasn't for the weak-heartedthanks for trying