Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

2002 Taurus. P1232 code/check engine lite on. Low Speed Fuel

Customer Question

2002 Taurus. P1232 code/check engine lite on. Low Speed Fuel Pump Primary circuit failure. All seems to be okay...no problems driving. annoying check engine lite. any help? thanks
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: stays on. no performance issues
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: depends...tried nothing so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is usually either a wiring issue or a bad PCM. Its a bit in depth to properly diagnose and youre probably going to need a decent scan tool with live data. We may be able to find the issue without it but I wouldnt count on it.

Do you have a decent scan tool, a digitial multimeter and the willingness to get nice and dirty? If so we can start doing some testing. Just let me know what youre working with here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope, no tools here. Undestand possible wiring issues....bad pcm?

The powertrain control module. If there isnt actually an issue (which your original description leads me to believe there may not be) then you could have a bad PCM reporting an issue that doesnt exist.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
whats involved in replacing it?

Unplug it, unbolt it, bolt in the new one, plug everything back in and program the new PCM to the vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this a dealer and/or aftermarket part ? estimated cost?

Its gonna be a salvage yard part. Its discontinued through ford. I would expect you could get one for 150 or so and get it installed and programmed for another 150-200.

Here is the part number YU7Z12A1650EA

You might be able to find an aftermarket on ebay or something that they can ship already programmed then you could install it on your own.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

No problem.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Please rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks