Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have noticed a loud sound coming from my Mustang V6 engine

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: I have noticed a loud sound coming from my Mustang V6 engine and then goes away after a few seconds, but the water coming off the exhaust is unusual....a lot
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 150000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I installed spark plugs recently....but before that there was a ticking sound form the engine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.

Can you describe the sound you are hearing? Tick, squeal, rattle, etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car has had a slight ticking sound from the engine for the last 3yrs and I was told by a few repair shop its normal for the Ford mustangs. However, last week the sound was louder than normal....sounds like an open exhaust. It starts when the engine is turned on and then fades away after 15 seconds. It comes back as you accelerate or rev the engine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there engine light was ON. So I had it scanned, and the Autozone store, suggested we install ignition coil. these did not help either.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 4 months ago.

Can you tell if the noise is more from the driver's or passenger side of the engine? It may help to put your head close to each front tire when the noise is occurring.