A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Does changing camshafts sensor repair the camshaft problem?

Customer Question

JA: Which sensor are you asking about? O2? MAP? Did any codes pop up?
Customer: They told me camshaft sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 5.4 super cab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No its at dealer, extended warranty company said that's all they will fix, have had it two months and been shop 3 times I have only been able to drive it a month my self
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I know it was scoped I think it was code 340 I think
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think 8m getting the run around it hasn't run right since I got it and it's burning 7 quarts of oil in 3000 miles why?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.

First off, if it is burning 7 quarts of oil in 3000 miles, you should be seeing blue smoke out the tail pipe of a lot of oil in the throttle body/intake manifold. The engine only holds 7 quarts. The code P340 can be caused by a faulty alternator interfering with the passenger side camshaft sensor which we refer to RF frequency interference. Also, we have seen the VCT solenoids and camshaft phasers cause this problem also. But if you engine is burning 7 quarts of oil between oil changes, you have a severe problem mechanically with the engine. See the TSBs below.

Sorry, both TSBs are the same. Below is the other one.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just don't understand, no blue smoke, just rattle and shaking, no oil and camshaft codes. No change in oil pressurer gage at all and third time as I stated, I just need a simple answer in layman's terms thank you

The engine in your 2005 F150, the 5.4L 3 valve engine, is heavily oil pressure dependent for proper operation. The engine have camshaft phasers that advance and retard the camshafts for engine emissions. There used to be an EGR valve that would help control engine emissions from the tail pipe, but they are being phased out and VCT (Variable Camshaft Timing) solenoids are now being used and they use oil pressure to advance or retard the camshafts for engine performance and emissions out the tail pipe. When the oil pressure gets low, you will get ticking, knocking and poor engine performance along with a check engine light and trouble codes. The oil pressure gauge is only an on/off gauge. There is an oil pressure sensor mounted next to the oil filter that closes when the engine has oil pressure and opens when there is no oil pressure. Since you have a gauge, it will read in the middle of just past middle when there is good to low oil pressure and when there is no oil pressure, it will read no pressure. If the VCTs cannot advance or retard the camshaft, you will get the P0340 and P0345 codes.