A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

The master lighting switch is on and it causes one of the gh

Customer Question

the master lighting switch is on and it causes one of the high beams to not work
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: a replacement bulb was tried. not sure about the battery, I just bought it as a beater
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 200 windstar 3.8l
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hoping to fix myself, haven't tried anything just seeing what I can find online
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nothing else at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Do both high beams work when you pull the turn signal switch towards the steering wheel for the flash to pass?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no I believe it's only the driver side that works

Ok, and both low beams work ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
low beams work, one high beam doesn't, also some interior lights don't seem to work, there must be a loose wire somewhere in the circuit? can you supply me with the schematic?

Do you have a digital multi meter to do a few tests. The dome lights in the headliner all run off of one power wire, you may want to check the bulbs. But the headlights are entirely different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a multi-meter what do you recommend for testing?

Go to the passenger side headlight bulb wiring connector and unplug the bulb. Turn the high beams on and check for power on the YELLOW/WHITE striped wire. Let me know if you have power there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have power on both switch legs power for head light and power on yellow/white when hi bed are on

Then the problem is either the bulb or the socket for the bulb. You have power for both high and low beams, and they share the same ground, so the bulb or socket is the problem.