James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Well when i go to start it first thing in morning it will

Customer Question

Well when i go to start it first thing in morning it will start up then shut off then i have to crank it two or three times before it starts. Today i stop at gas station on way home from work go to start it back up and it just cranks and cranks until i give it gas then it started
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 123,000 only had truck about 4 months but it cranks strong
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes i put it on computer and checked ficm it read 48 volts while koeo , crankin and running
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took out oil pressure regulator it was fine i havent checked ipr i replaced icp from advanced auto when i first got truck
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I did egr delete upgraded oil cooler from ford changed gpcm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
What year and engine is in this vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2003 6.0
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Does the hard start only happen after sitting a while?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At first it just did it when i first started and would start fine rest of the day! Now its starting to do it just about every time i start it every once in a while it will start right up
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

I have seen this issue a handful of times. It ends up being the high pressure oil pump that is failing. The early HPOP are known to fail and you will likely experience low power and eventually when it gets bad enough the vehicle won't run.