Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Working on a 2015 explorer, and installing headrest tvs. i

Customer Question

working on a 2015 explorer, and installing headrest tvs. i need to access a key hot wire in the console or under the dash. where do i look?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

We wire a number of our police equipment accessories that require key-on voltage to the headlight switch voltage feed. In the past we avoided the headlight switch because of potential resistance problems with the rheostat in most headlight switches. The explorer doesn't use a rheostat or similar for the headlights or the dimmer switch so this seems to work well. We just tap in with a scotch-loc connector.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Headlights have a constant 12v not a key hot. This has auto lights if that makes a difference.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Yeah, our police units don't have auto lights. Let me go see if I can find another power source. I have two out in the shop right now.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

There should be a yellow with green stripe(?) wire coming from the back of the switch. I don't have any explorers in at the moment, all crown vics. I'll see if I can get one in tomorrow and look at the exact color. It should be hot on key on only regardless of auto lights or not.