Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My 96 Ford ranger won't start. Change crank positioning

Customer Question

My 96 Ford ranger won't start. Change crank positioning sensor. Started a few times, now it will no longer start. Replace crank positioning sensor again, and coil pack, no start. V6, 3 liter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Does the engine have spark while cranking? Does it run on starting fluid? Does the check engine light GO OFF while cranking? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spark, yes. Run on starting fluid, no. Check engine light has been on for some time not related to this new issue. I'm away from my home currently and don't have the VIN handy.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It did start several times after we replaced the crank positioning sensor, no longer will.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All fuses good
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. Have you checked fuel pressure? You might just have a bad fuel pump.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

If the fuel pump is not running with the key on and cranking, just verify that it has power going to it. If so, the fuel pump is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When you turn the key on you can hear the fuel pressure if I push the release valve on the fuel rail it will spray fuel to so yes there is fuel pressure
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Ok, so the next step is to check injector pulse using a noid light. CLICK HERE The noid light should blink as the engine cranks over.