HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

I purchased a used 2013 Ford Edge about 2 months ago. It has

Customer Question

Hello. I purchased a used 2013 Ford Edge about 2 months ago. It has been acting strange when I try to start it. Sometimes I have to turn the key 3 or 4 times before it will start. Other times it will start the first try. On Friday, I tried about 20 times and it would not start. I had to call my husband to pick me up from work but then called him back to tell him it had started. It's very randomly starting and then not starting. I'm afraid to drive it and am now driving another car for fear of getting stranded.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park. I'm not sure about a wheel lock feature.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That would be great as my warranty JUST expired. :(
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Not that I know of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, when the car wont start have you noticed if the red key icon is flashing fast or does it come on steady when the key is turned to the on position and goes off after a few seconds? Does it matter if the shifter is in park or neutral it still wont start?Have you tried a different ignition key with the same results?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure about the key icon. I haven't tried it in neutral. I have tried both keys and they both did the same thing. I took it to a mechanic yesterday afternoon and he looked at it and plugged it into the computer and they could not find anything wrong. It has started fine ever since. Go figure. So I guess it's okay - at least for now. Thank you. :)
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok it could be a key going bad, need to verify if the key icon flashes, it should have set memory codes when checked if it did have a key issue.Otherwise it might just be a starter going bad. Would need to verify power to the starter motor when it wont crank.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The strange thing is that it randomly starts if I open the door, then close the door, lock it, then unlock it - then it usually starts. Then if I turn it off and try to start it again, it won't start unless I go through the process of opening the door, then closing the door, locking the door, then unlocking the door...(My husband witnessed it so please don't think I'm crazy) I had a mechanic look at it and he said it wouldn't 'not' start for him. He tried it all day and it started for him every time. He said from what I described, it sounded like it was in the security. All I know is I don't plan on dealing with this from now on. I have a 9 year old Toyota Camry that has never given me one second of trouble and now, two months after buying the Edge, I'm almost sorry that I bought it :( I really hope it can be fixed soon.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

I gotcha, if it is a security system issue it should be setting a diagnostic trouble code, or one of the modules in the vehicles network(there are several that cross communicate) would have some sort of code or pending code stored for a starting issue or security system issue that may only be able to be retrieved by a dealership style scan tool

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm crossing my fingers and saying a prayer that we have 'fixed' the problem. A co-worker who also has an Edge the same year switched the 'auto lock' off and, so far it has done fine. I tried starting it about 20 times and the only time it didn't start was when I had the driver's side door open. Thank you so much for your help. Have a great day!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome, if you need more help let me know. If I was helpful please leave a positive rating.