Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition that the AC when it works

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition that the AC when it works blows great cold air but suddenly it stops working. the fan blows but the compressor does not kick in. I will come out the next day and it will start working again. It has electronic temperature controls and dual air controls for the passenger as well as the rear air control
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have any trouble codes popped up lately?
Customer: Just over 200K only code I get is a tire sensor fault
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just turning it off and back on while driving, turning the temp up and down and switching from defrost to AC to lower and upper vents. Nothing seems to correlate with it running other that it was very hot yesterday and it was very hot the time it did it before
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Have you checked the refrigerant levels in the system first to make sure they are not low causing issues? The hotter it gets, the more the system will act up if it is low becasue the low pressure (suction) side of the system will get lower causing the pressure switch to cut out the system. This also causes freeze up around the evaporator for the thermostat switches making the vehicle think there is super cold air going through the vents. I would rule that first thing before moving on.

Now if the pressures are good, next is to check for shorts on the pressure switches to see if voltage is going to them and from them. If no voltage to any of them, you will know the issue is in the cab side. If there is voltage going through one of them, then you know there is a pressure or sensor issue. It needs to be narrowed down to know which side to take.

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.