James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

I recently replaced both batteries in my 2002 F-350

Customer Question

I recently replaced both batteries in my 2002 F-350 Powerstroke with extended cab. The truck sits idle during the winter and the batteries were both 6 years old and would not hold a charge. Now the door ajar light comes on and does not go out, the dome light does not come on when the doors are opened and the power door locks do not work. Any ideas on where I should look first?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

Hello, If the door ajar and power locks aren't working this is usually due to a faulty VSM or vehicle security module. The VSM is what controls the door locks as well as the door ajar switches.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where would I find the VSM to replace it?
Expert:  James replied 4 months ago.

The VSM is behind the glove box. They can be sent out for repair or you can also get a replacement from Ford.