Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My husband's 2003 Ford F350 truck will not start. : it turns

Customer Question

My husband's 2003 Ford F350 truck will not start.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: it turns over, but will not start
JA: What is the model of your '03 Ford?
Customer: F350 Super Duty--5.4 engine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: swapped the relays around and fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: may not be getting enough electrical to fuel purmp
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

When you first turn the key to the run position can you hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
for about a second or two.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
code reader says nothing showing in the computer
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Well that's a good sign. It should only buzz for a few seconds.

Will your scan tool read RPM data while cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it will not read.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it will not crank.
the people at the company that we bought it from said it will not read if the truck will not crank and run
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
help!
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Oh I'm sorry, the engine doesn't crank? I thought it was cranking but won't start.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It will not do anything
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband switched out relays & fuses he could find and not find anything. I was looking online and found there have been a lot of people with the same problem and none have found what is wrong with their Ford F-350 or any thing else Ford what will not start.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Is it a manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
automatic transmission
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

The first thing to check for is 12 volts at the red wire.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Next check for 12 volts at the yellow/light blue wire with the key in the crank position.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it turs over according to my dumb -- husband
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

You can also try the old bang on the starter with a hammer trick. If the starter is going bad you can usually get it to crank one or two more times by hitting it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it turns over. before he but on the new battery it would not do thing.
a couple weeks ago it died as he pulled into the drive way.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

So it does crank. That's good.

Try spraying starting fluid, fuel, or even wd40 (anything flammable really) into the intake and crank the engine to see if it will run for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When the ignition is in the on position, electricity goes to the fuel pump for about half a second. Then about a second later a winding down sounds comes from the engine. When cranking the engine, it attempts to turn over and electricity goes to the fuel pump for about half a second and does nothing beyond that.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It's not cranking normally, it just cranks a little? I'm sorry I'm a little confused.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
MY son typed the last message to you since he was outside helping his dad.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am trying to help my husband figure out what is going on with his truck. I thought cranking and running was the same thing. When he said it wasn't doing anything.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They have already charged me $5 *& $23 dollars before I could decide which plan to go with.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It's ok. The biggest challenge I see here on Just Answer is that we all call different things different names. We'll get on the same page and get you running again.

As experts we don't see any of the billing side. All I can see is that if I receive a positive rating I will get $14. If you have any questions about billing and questions costs please contact customer service.

We experts are sort of contractors and can't access the payment side.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

If it will crank (turn the engine over like normal) but not start we need to determine if the engine will run on supplemental fuel. In which case if it will we will then try to figure out why the engine isn't supplying fuel to it self.

If it still won't run on supplemental fuel then we need to figure out why there is no spark.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he says the spark plugs are OK. NO fuel is coming from the fuel pump
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It it won't crank like normal then we need to figure out why. That's where we go back to checking voltages at the starter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he keeps telling me the fuel pump not getting a electrical signal
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

You can also check to see if the engine will turn over by hand (when I say by hand I mean with a socket on the crank bolt and a long ratchet or breaker bar for some leverage). If the engine doesn't turn by hand then we have bigger problems and will need to determine if the engine is locked up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do you test for the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

"he keeps telling me the fuel pump not getting a electrical signal"

The easiest way to test whether that is true is by trying to run it on supplemental fuel.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

The more thorough way would be the following:

1. Access inertia switch located behind the kick panel on the passenger side and check for power on the Dark Green/Yellow (DG/YE) wire while the engine is cranking. If power is present on the DG/YE wire, check the Pink/Black (PK/BK) wire with the switch connected to verify power flow through the inertia switch. Address the inertia switch or connection as needed.

2. If no power is present to the inertia switch on the DG/YE wire while cranking, access the Central Junction Box (CJB) under the passenger end of the dash. Check for power out on the DG/YE at pin 22 of the C270a connector while cranking. Also check fuse 40 (20 amp) of the CJB for a blown or poorly connected fuse and address it if needed.

3. If fuse 40 is ok and there is no power on the DG/YE wire when cranking, locate the Light Blue/Orange (LB/OG) wire at pin 10 of the C270f connector. Backprobe the LB/OG wire with a jumper and ground it. This should activate the fuel pump relay which is internal of the CJB and result in power out on the DG/YE wire at pin 22 of the C270a connector and make the fuel pump run.

4. If grounding the LB/OG wire does not result in power flow out of the CJB on the DG/YE wire with the ignition in the run position, it would suggest that one of these circuits has a terminal mating issue at its connection to the box or the internal fuel pump relay of the CJB is defective.
Failure of the internal fuel pump relay will result in the need to replace the CJB as an assembly. The fuel pump relay is not a serviceable component on this vehicle.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

As mentioned you can't change the relay, so if it's the problem then the entire junction box needs to be changed unless you are able to remove the box and re-solder in a new relay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will go give this to him. He is being a jerk to me. I can understand appliance problems, because my dad was a repairman, but not cars
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry. We can be jerks sometimes, especially when our trucks won't run. He'll feel bad about it later I'm sure.

I have to run to lunch and then I am interviewing for a new mechanic this afternoon. I'll check back in a little later on to see if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks :-)
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know how the testing is going and whether you need additional help.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you need additional help with this vehicle or did you get it sorted out?

Please don't forget to rate.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He called AAA to tow it to get it repaired. Tech said it was the fuel pump. Tech replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Said it still ran rough. My husband asked them to check the spark plug. The lady that calls they customer asked if he wanted them to do a tune-up and he told her to replace the sparkle plugs if they were bad. He still did not hear back from her 24 hours later and called back and was told that the TECH refused and would not check the sparkle plugs or replace the sparkle plugs until my husband burned up the gas that was still in the tank. What the heck is going on with FORD TECHs? He paid over a $1000 and it still is not running right.