Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Have a 1998 fordf150 with a 4.2 it started with gh idle so I

Customer Question

Have a 1998 fordf150 with a 4.2 it started with high idle so I turned it off when I tried to start it and it didn't want to start so I held the throttle to the floor and it Finley started but acted like it was flooded. I changed out the throttle p. Sensor and unplug the eve egr value the idle is good and runs good going down the road but won't start wright up
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put a throttle sensor on it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port can you give me your fuel pressure readings?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
35psi
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The fuel pressure looks fine, dose the pressure hold steady with the engine off ?

Are you getting any fault codes ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No fault codes yes the pressure after the key is off
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

So are you still having to hold the throttle open when you start it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
once i do that it runs fine
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

The system is designed to shut the injector off to clear a flooding condition when you hold the throttle open , the TP signal allows the computer to shut the injector off . Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if there actually getting wet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No not yet but it misses and black smokes when it first fires up then clear up and runs right
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay let see if the spark plugs are wet and one other thing to check would be to pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if there are any signs of fuel in the hose, if so then the regulator is leaking. Check these for me and post back and we can work from there.