George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

2004 excursion, 6.0 liter, just filled with diesel, going to

Customer Question

2004 excursion, 6.0 liter, just filled with diesel, going to wedding, 98 out and had to stop for a pilot car, though I felt a miss, drove the rest of the way with no problems until came to stop light and we were smoking , gray smoke, running fine. Went to wedding and on the way home late, about 45 miles into the ride, started to hear a ticking and I have a scanner that I have set on oil temp, looked in range of normal, water temp that also looked normal, volts the same, but the GPH was going from ..35 to as much as 6.5 at 65 . So we were running rough at the .35 and had power at the 6.5, not sure how much smoke as it was dark, but when we did come in to the next stop the smoke was so thick it was hard to see. Nearly home and made the last turn, it died and has not started. Where do I start?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Batteries are about a year and alternator was replaced late winter/early spring. It turns over like normal and nearly starts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have a fairly good Mac in town, I am a farmer and not to close to any dealer. Do have a fair understanding of problems, just not sure where to start. My code reader has nothing on it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I have 220,000 on it, had been running flawless, have the egr unhooked
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Either a used manifold through or a Dorman part though Rock Auto for about $70 is your choice.

Let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

.Sorry this was posted to the wrong question, I will OPT OUT