James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Own a 2007 ford explorer with 167,000 miles. Had fan clutch

Customer Question

Hey, own a 2007 ford explorer with 167,000 miles. Had fan clutch replaced 2 times already (both with used parts). Last time was about 3 weeks ago. Both time at about 3 weeks I started hearing noise again. yesterday after driving approximately 30 miles - 90 degrees with a/c on - when I turned off highway engine sounded like jet engine. Let vehicle sit for about 30 minutes and then it didn't immediately make the noise but after about 5 minutes of intown driving the noise started again. Let vehicle sit for about an hour then drove back home - approx. 30 miles with a/c on. No noise this time. Your thoughts?
BTW - had radiator replaced last year and transmission rebuilt. Kind of sick of my ford right now.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, why are you installing used fan clutches and not a new OEM fan clutch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Save on expense. Had transmission rebuilt end of last year. Drove vehicle all week and then yesterdy if dud same thing after driving approximate 30 miles. Let sit for about 30 minutes at home and was fine but didn't run ac again. This morning there is small amount of fluid on garage floor. I'm sick
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Is the coolant level low at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I looked couple of days ago reserve tank was full. Haven't checked today
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fluid doesn't look or smell like antifreeze
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

do you have a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I can go to advance auto later I guess. I think they check. What are you thinking?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

just to make sure there isn't an overtemp code or something coming on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just checked coolant. Don't see full cold line but in reserve tank it's maybe 1/2 inch from full hot line. Cars been parked since about 10 last night
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Yea that isn't too low. Does the temp gauge seem to go up before the fan turns on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Temp gauge has not gone over about half way the entire time. Had never registered hotter. I keep a close eye on that.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

When the fan locks up if you turn off the AC does the fan turn back off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think I mentioned this but noise gets louder when I push the gas pedal. You might have assumed that already but definitely gets louder when gas pedal is pushed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please tell me I'm not paying every time I ask you a question?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

You only pay the fee once. I am only paid when I receive a rating for 3 stars or above. It doesn't end our conversation though. When the fan clutches engage they will get noisy. I would test for codes if you can just to see if any are showing?

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you could do that it would help out alot.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will definitely give you 3 stars. I sure hope this isn't transmission fluid under my car. That's how it started last year. Fluid under car was tranny fluid leaking from radiator. Gad radiator replaced 600.00 then week later wrench warning light came on and tyranny had to be rebuilt but until light came on I had no warning tranny was bad. Did you read my post about gets louder when gas pedal pushed. Even when car in park it's louder. Thoughts? I'm desperate here
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

can you tell what color the fluid is? The loud noise is the locked fan clutch. They almost sound like a JET taking off because of how fast they spin when the cluth is locked.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why don't it do it all the time. Fluid is brown or at least that's what it looks like when wiped off my floor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just went and started vehicle I was laying on floor. Heard what I thought was fan come on and go back off but not loud at all. Normal. What would make it stick on or be extremely loud sometimes. I've driven the vehicle 60 miles every day this week. Did this last Sunday but not a again till yesterday. It was 90 plus last Sunday so my ac ran a lot while driving to our destination. Drive same miles back home and ran ac but it ran fine. Can't explain it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok took wipe and wiped spot on garage floor then wiped right beside spot on floor. Color an wipe is the same. Is it possible there's no "fluid" just maybe a little water it did rain a little last night while we were out. Could it have drained down? I know I'm reaching here
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thought more about this fluid. If it was no fluid of any kind only water it would dry with no residue on my concrete garage floor right? Not leave a stain? I know I've give lot of details but I'm anxious
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Yes water won't leave a stain so it could be transmission fluid.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you had a way to monitor exact coolant temp while driving. You could determine if the fan is coming on at the correct time. Also look in front of the radiator for any blockage from dirt as this can cause the issue as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why would it be transmission fluid? Last time radiator had to be replaced when I had leak. That was back last October or November so radiator not old. No smell or anything when I turn the car off. My brother in laws coming and he has the think you hook to car to check for codes. If it's transmission fluid what are chances my transmission is shot again?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is transfer fluid leak and stuck fan related or non related?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
They won't be related. The fan clutch will get hot and lock up. Once the fluid cools down the fan will unlock. When the AC is on the engine will run hotter than normal and can cause the fan clutch to lock up. That is why you don't want any blockage in front of the radiators.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great. Thanks. Will let you know what codes are if its tranny fluid is it leaking from radiator?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
it would be. There is a transmission cooler that goes through the radiator.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No codes. Think noise may be the internal cooling fan on transmission the mechanic added when he rebuilt my transmission. Not sure. Also not sure about fluid but it appeared to be up front like from radiator.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
they added an electric cooling fan for transmission cooling?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
The electric cooling fan can be engaging if the transmission fluid is a little low
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As you know you can't check the tranny fluid in these explorers without special tool and under the vehicle. Yesterday was the first time I had noticed fluid since last year.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I start the vehicle and let it run in the garage should it leak if it's going to?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
It very well may leak once the transmission gets hot
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long should that take? Approximately?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok let it run for almost an hour sitting still with max ac on almost wide open. Radiator fluid came up to full hot level. So far no leaks but will check again. Heard fan come off and on normally lots of times
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Is it the electric fan coming on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm assuming so. That's what it sounds like. Comes on briefly when vehicle is first started. Heard it cycle off and on several times while sitting here running
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
That's good if it's not the fan clutch engaging?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think it got hot enough for team fluid to leak if it's going to?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tranny fluid that is
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
if you ran it for an hour. You should be seeing a leak.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
You are welcome. Please remember to leave a rating so I receive credit.