john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

Engine light has come on 1st time : 75k : Nothing except the

Customer Question

engine light has come on for the 1st time
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 75k
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Nothing except the light no bumps thumps or groans
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet. My girlfriend insists its an 02 sensor set to drive me into a shop
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 6 months ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't have a scanner
need a shop , right?

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i'LL TRY AUTO ZONE THX

great hope you can rate me 5 star so I get credit