roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Oil was all under my hood because my service person left off

Customer Question

Oil was blown all under my hood because my service person left off my oil filler cap on my engine. Immediately, the very next day, I had to be jumped off as my battery was down to 0 by AAA to get back to the dealer. The dealer apologized for the error, cleaned my truck, topped the oil and sent me on my way. Problem is that night while i was taking out my garbage, I noticed that my dash lights were on behind the speedometer, tachometer, and engine gauges. I tried to turn the lights off, but could only dim them. Next morning, my truck battery is a 0 again and I cannot start my truck. I get my truck back to the dealer and they told me my instrument cluster would have to be replaced for $ 1,000.00 and that I would have to pay up front for the repairs before they even ordered the part. They said the cluster had a short. I say that was because of the oil all over my engine compartment causing this short. I have owned Ford products, pickups, Mercurys, and Lincoln and I have never had such a problem before. Since the oil caused the battery to drain down to 0, which is an electrical device and with the wiring under the hood being shorted out to drain the battery, that the reason I have a problem is because of dealer error.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

if it is the case with the oil, then oil would have had to get into the harness and travel up to the connector at the dash. it can happen but is rare that this would happen.

have them remove the cluster in front of you and examine the connector for any oil. this will tell you if the oil intrusion is the reason for the failure. other wise they will deny fault.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Roy,
Since the oil did ground my battery, draining it to 0, and it is a spray all over the inside of my engine compartment, why couldn't it short out a wire connected near the battery. Funny that this happen the night I drove home from my oil change that my battery was drained to 0. Next day I had to have AAA jump start my vehicle, so I could take it back to them. They cleaned my truck, recharged my battery, then I drove home. That night I see my dash lights on hours after I parked my vehicle and the next morning I took it back. They checked it out and said that I needed to change my Instrument Cluster, that it had a short. They wanted me to Pay up Front for Labor and Materials to change the cluster. What if I paid to change the cluster and after it was installed, because of oil in the wiring, the new cluster developed a short the same night I bring home my vehicle, because the cause was not repaired.
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

ok, the battery drained from the lights being on.

if you want to blame them for the cluster, it has to be proven. your theory makes sense but needs to be proved. they are protecting themselves from not being paid by having you pay upfront. you could also have someone else verify the failure but it will cost a diagnostic.

what you could do is pay by credit card so and get the old cluster, have it checked to confirm it was shorted, then you would have re course to stop payment and let them sue you and state your case to the judge. dont be afraid to do this.

Roy

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

I see you hd another post for this yesterday. did you get anywhere with the tech???

Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

what happened to you???

trying to help

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.

Roy