AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

We just replaced the starter, starter relay and battery in a

Customer Question

we just replaced the starter, starter relay and battery in a 2000 ford contour and it still won't start. when the key is turned over there is just a click.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: it is in park. not sure about the wheel lock. it is my son's car.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the starter, starter relay and the battery
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: it has PATS on it, so i was thinking that might be the problem but i cannot reset it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Have you checked for power down at the starter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no. i don't have a voltmeter.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Does the starter click when cranking or is it the starter relay that clicks?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i can't tell. it doesn't sound like it's coming from under the engine. sounds like it is coming from the driver's side of the engine where both starter and relay are.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Well, your starter could be getting low voltage preventing it from turning over, it may not have a good ground or the engine may be locked up. Have you checked to be sure that the engine rotates over by hand?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no. how would i check that?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

You would need to get a socket on the bolt holding the harmonic balancer in place and rotate it over using a big ratchet. Or you can use a big wrench

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok. thank you.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.