CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
Experience:  AUTO TECH at G&M EXXON
83135375

Will crank no start tried cranking 3 time then opened hood

Customer Question

will crank no start tried cranking 3 time then opened hood looked around tried again and started ran fine
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 80000 miles batteries about 5 old
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: tied to start had been shut off for about 3 hrs glow plug on dash came on like normal engine cranked normal no try to start did it 3 times in a row then opened hood looked around tried again in about 3 mins engine started up fine and ran good drove it 30 miles home shut off and restarted right back up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if its something I can t/s and replace
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: your my first stop
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1ftww32f51ec78862
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! I will leave this question open for diesel experts.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, being a 7.3 diesel there are a couple of things that can cause an intermittent no start. Most common thing would be the camshaft posiition sensor, it sends an rpm signal to fire the injectors, other issues would be a problem with the ICP sensor which reads high oil pressure, the engine requires at least 500 psi to fire the injectors nd the IPR solenoid which regulates system oil pressure for the injector system. A diagnostic check for codes needs to be done first to see if any memory codes are stored, this will tell you what area to inspect. If no codes are stored when it wont start need to verify its getting an rpm signal and ipc pressure.You can inspect the IPC sensor & IPR solenoid for oil leaking into the connectors and causing an open circuit.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 11 months ago.

Hello I'm Chris and I will assist you. Have you checked the level of your oil?