Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Just had it in. Was running good until we drove it. Not more

Customer Question

Just had it in. Was running good until we drove it. Not more then 5 miles most in town with only a couple miles at speed on the interstate and it just loses power then stahles and dies. It's blowing lots of white smoke. Not doing any of this before we had it in. It will start up and get up to about 10 mph and then start to lose power, stahl and die, all over again. Almost everything has been replaced in the last 3 months. Hateing ford and it's 6.0 V8 turbo diesels right now. Ours is a 2005 ford E-450 cutaway bus 6.0 V8 turbo diesel. Help please as we use to be Ford lovers now we want a devorce as it is always a fight with new problems every time we start it.
JA: How many miles are on the engine? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 180087. Not sure. Like I said every time we start it something new shows up and leaves us stranded. The furthest it has gone is about 100 miles and we used 1/2 a tank, so not very good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We already have fixed most our selves and ford mechanic only seam to cause more problems.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Now it won't even turn over and we have replaced almost everything. Starter, EGR, EGR cooler, head gaskets, fuel, air and oil filters. All coolants except power steering.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: And it's been in to two ford shops in the last week as we try to make it from Washington to Ohio with not much luck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

So right now when you turn the key to the start position nothing happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It dings and dummy gauges read everything except oil, oil does nothing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then when we try to start it goes err, err, err, err and gauges do not read they just bounce at the bottom

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just checked fuses and all checked good. We have a diode that reads 650 on one side and open on the other it controls PCM

Sorry. I had to step out a bit. Whats the voltage at the battery?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have 2 1,500 amp batteries, both brand new and both just charged up, now reading at 12

12.0 And whats it showing while cranking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On start position it shows about half way on the dummy gauge. Earlier it showed 11.5 on the scan gauge. Now when I try to crank it the scan gauge won't read due to low power and it sounds like a dead battery.

charge the batteries up and see if it will fire.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are stuck along side the road. Still trying to find someone to come help. No one big enough to tow us except one company that wants $300 for 5 miles. I will see if someone will come jump us.

It sounds to me like the batteries are the immediate problem. Possibly try jumping it if you can find someone to do that or take the batteries out and take them to a parts store to charge them but you wont be able to do that till tomorrow I guess.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are having troubles with the alternator getting power but the ford tecnition said he could figure out why there was no power going to the alternator and said we should be good if we charged the batteries every so often when pulled over and sent us on our way.

Once you get it running we can work on that one.,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Let you know once we get them jumped. Thanks for standing by to help us!!!

No problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No one will jump us for less then a $100 and he said that he didn't want to do it because he didn't think it would help and didn't want to wast our money. Trying to see if the highway patrol will come jump us. Being stranded with my 2 year old and 4 year old along side the highway with no help is driving me crazy especially since ford sent us on our way. Waiting to see if highway patrol will help or if we sleep here tonight.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Officer came and jumped us. No change in situation.

Sorry. I had a migraine last night and laid down in the dark for a bit and never got back up.

I feel for your situation but honestly I dont know that I am going to be able to help you unless you can get the vehicle somewhere with electricity and even then youre most likely going to need some tools you dont have and a way back and forth to the parts store.

If you want my honest opinion the 6.0 is just a junk engine unless you get it "bulletproofed" by someone who knows what they are doing which by the sounds of things the person who did your head gaskets and EGR cooler did not. It sounds like that job has failed on you. With kids and stuff you cant be stranded... if you are in a position financially and especially if youve considered a new truck already I would have the thing towed to the nearest dealer and trade it in on practically any other truck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
First you need to call me and we can talk about getting ride of your migraines with the help of essential oils. I have help many including my husband who is a disabled navey veteran with a TBI that causes migraines. He use to be on so many meds for migraines and nothing helped until I helped him learn other ways.Second this is our home! We did the work with the help of a couple diesel mechanics but everything came from bulletproof diesel. Traiding it in is not really an option but I am running out of options and this 6.0 ford has left us broke, broken and stranded. Tomorrow I am going to call and see if the ford dealer will tow it back to their shop and look at it as non of this except the draining of the batteries was happening

Sorry. I did not realize this was your home. I guess its not as dangerous as I was envisioning.

Either way you need to get it somewhere with the A/C electric and start with charging those batteries so we can do some proper testing and then we need to be able to keep them charged while were testing. Low charged batteries will give us skewed test results.

I appreciate your offer on the advice but unfortunately I am not allowed to make offsite contact with any customer without it being sold as an additional service or I could be in trouble and I wouldnt expect you to want to pay to give me advice ;) Thank you though. It doesnt happen often though... just when my allergies are throwing a fit sometimes. Maybe 5 or 6 times a year but it sucks when it does happen. I still have it to an extent a bottle of ibuprofen later. You lucked out catching me back online. Ive been off the last few hours letting my head rest.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I keep you informed as the ford tec talks to us or does that cross lines too?

No by all means keep me informed. Hopefully I can be of some sort of help when you find out something from them.

If nothing else I can explain what they tell you and tell you what to ask them once we get some information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you again. It's so nice to have you as peace of mind durning these very stressful times.

No problem. Whenever you hear anything just reply to me. I assume it will be tomorrow before you get it to them so I should be all better and that being said I should be here from early morning till late night so there shouldnt be much delay.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds good! And thank you again.

No problem. Talk to you then. Please dont reply until you are ready for me. If I am not the last one to respond here I wont get a new notice when you do reply and need me.