Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

07 f150 4.2. My AC isnt working. I had it diagnosed and they

Customer Question

07 f150 4.2. My AC isnt working. I had it diagnosed and they told me the cycling switch, the relay and the diode were bad. Also I needed a new compressor. I cant afford a $500.00 new compressor. (from them anyway) I replaced all the peripheral parts and the clutch coil. When I energize the coil with 12v, it sparks a little but it doesnt click or engage. I've read that its supposed to do that. When the AC is on I have a little over 14 volts to the compressor clutch but it doesnt engage.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Hello, did you set the air gap on the clutch?

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would that keep the coil from engaging? The clutch was working before, all I did was change the coil.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I ordered a clutch coil from Rock Auto. It doesnt engage when you bench test it. I thought it was defective. So I ordered another one from the Ford dealership and it doesnt engage either.
you installed the clutch coil, if you have power to cluch , if sound like u do , you have gaped wrong it's to far most likely
Why didn't u just get a used one , be better of , setting the clutch could be tricky , used compressor should be $100Like u said everything was working before ,only change was the clutch coil , that is where the problem is .
I miss going to send what I have on step by step on replacing the clutch coil.Chad 9aka-Jhook-1398)
Clutch gap 0.35 to 0.65
I m sending all the procedure .
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
Fix the gap , look at the last picture in the diagram it will show you the gapingHope that was helpful , please let me know if you need anything elseA positive rating is much appreciate
This post will stay open for you to come back and ask me any follow up questions you may have on this issueThank YouChad Farhat( aka-Jhook1398)ASE Certified Tech
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In your attachments, the engine is incorrect. Its a V6, not a v8. Are the specs still the same. On pretty much every vehicle i've ever experienced, there is a click when the clutch engages and it is caused by the coil. My truck doesnt do that. Why would the air gap cause the click not to happen? If the gap was too wide, then the compressor simply wouldnt turn. If the gap was too narrow, then the compressor would want to turn all the time. Am I right?

hey you out there

yes i just checked specs are the same

yes you are right on that to close ,stays on ,to far want engage

it has to be just right based on the specs i sent ) 0.3 to 0.65 and u need to used a filler gap tool like in picture

let me know id there is anything else you need,

return the clutch coil and get an assembled a/c compressor complete with clutch f you having problem adjusting , that is an option

Chad ( aka - Jhook1398)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You didnt answer my question about the coil not clicking. Why would I get a whole new compressor if the only thing wrong is a string of defective coils? WHY DOESNT THE COIL ENGAGE?!?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, the compressor must have a ground as well as battery voltage in order for it to apply the clutch assuming the gap is set up correctly as previously mentioned.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

No one mentioned this yet, but have tou checked the power across the pressure switches to see of you habe power? What about power to the clutch itself and ground from the clutch?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

Hello?

Do you still need assistance with this?