James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Air works great sometimes but will stop working all of a

Customer Question

Air works great sometimes but will stop working all of a sudden checked the Fe
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Just started And it's a truck. Could it be a switch 180000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It works great most of the time then it will stop. Mostly when I pull my camper
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Charging the system
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 5.4 gas engine 2002 f-350
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Hello, is the fan stil blowing and your just losing cold air?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fan is still blowing just losing cold air
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where's my answer
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I wish diagnosing AC was simple. The first thing you need to do is rent a gauge set from the part store. Once you have this you can determine if you have an overcharge or undercharge. If it works sometimes but not others I would suspect a faulty orifice tube. Especially if you added R-134 yourself. All DIY 1134 you buy has sealant inside the can is damaging to the system. I would evacuate the system correctly and remove the orifice tube and look to see if it is plugged with sealant. That will cause the concern you are having.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok but the system was full and didn't take any r135 so now what
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's still the same
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Need more info. How do I do it. We're is everything were is everything located
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Just because Freon won't go into the system doesn't mean it isn't low or overcharged. When you start the vehicle does the compressor turn on and cool the vehicle down?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not happy with your answers I am not satisfied abdominal do not want to pay please give me my money back
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

You aren't happy with my answers because you don't have the correct tools to properly diagnose the vehicle. That is usually how it works. I asked you another quetion to help with no additional info from you well AC isn't easy to diagnose especially since you aren't willing to invest your time and tools into repairing it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am willing to invest my time and money please don't be rude I payed for help
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry if that came across rude. That wasn't my intention. If the concern only happens while pulling your trailer its possible to have an air flow problem. If you aren't getting good air flow across the condensor after driving awhile the AC performance will begin to suffer. Usually If you drive on very dusty road this happens. It usually plugs up the condensor between the condensor and the radiator. I would inspect in this area for any blockage.