Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My service provider left off my oil filler cap and oil blew

Customer Question

My service provider left off my oil filler cap and oil blew inside my engine compartment, fowling out my battery causing it to drain down to 0. They cleaned it up and recharged my battery. Now my instrument panel lights stay on after the truck is shut down for the night. The back lights stay on constrantly. Could the oil spray under my hood cause this problem? Does my instrument cluster need to be replaced or is there a switch somewhere that can be changed?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool? The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Ford Mechanic will know how to find that out.
Customer: I do not have a code or a code tool. My question is could the oil spray cause a short that could affect whatever has the delayed timer to turn the instrument lights off?
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2013 F-150 Lariat V-8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself. I have not tried anything. I walked by my truck at night after I had the problem with the oil cap being left off and totally running my battery down and noticed that my instrument lights were still on hous after I had shut down the engine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm hoping that he knows what could cause the instrument back lights to stay on and if it could be caused from oil sprayed in the engine compartment.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

A short in the electrical system can damage any part of it and to drain the battery to zero volts the battery would have to be shorted out. I would start by getting that battery checked to see if its even any good.. a bad battery will cause all sorts of problems and it sounds to me like that battery has an internal short.

As far as whether or not the oil could cause this yes it could cause it. I cant say it did without knowing the problem and you dont seem interested in finding the problem or cause of it. As your question is written it sounds like you just want some guesses at parts you could try. If that is the case I can give you some parts to try (starting with the battery) but I cant tell you what caused it.