Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2002 ford windstar that just stops working and the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford windstar that just stops working and the mechanic said it was a theft issue and it needs reset or disconnected can I do this somehow on my own
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: theft van won't start 2002 ford windstar
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no and tried new battery everything works on interior but theft light flashes and it dont even click or turn over
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I'd possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: went to mechanic he said it wasn't battery starter that it had to be the theft n it needs reset
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: it did it yesterday and started this morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

How fast is the theft light flashing when trying to start, rapid like 2-3 times per second?

Do you get the same results from both keys?

Is there an additional aftermarket alarm, immobilizer, or remote start on the vehicle?

Do you have tools like a diagnostic tool to fix this issue?