James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible. The fog

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible. The fog lights do not work. The fuse is good under the hood and if you jumper the relay pins (30/87) the lights come one. I also have jumped pins 6 & 7 on the back of the headlight switch with no luck. Let me know if you need anymore info to help.John
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello do you have a volt meter to see if you are getting power on pin 86 and ground on pin 85 when the fog lamps are on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do. I know I used a test light last night and had power at two location with the relay removed. I believed it to be pin 30 and 86. I did not check pin 85 for ground though. Also the indicator light on the headlight switch does not light either.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

If you turn on the fog lamps see if pin 85 is seeing a ground. If it isn't then the foglamps aren't being activated by the headlamp switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I use a VOM and I put the black test lead on 85 and red to power I get 12 volts. However it does not matter if the switch is on or not. The other problem I have is the test leads have widen the socket so the relay fits loose now. Just to confirm is pin 85 closer to the engine and 86 is closer to the fender?
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Sorry pin 85 is the ground side pin 86 is the power side.