tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years
14541291

2003 Expedition - P0231 code and stall. Starts right back

Customer Question

2003 Expedition - P0231 code and stall. Starts right back up. Replaced the fuel pump relay but same code and symptoms. Looking for other causes. Was thinking about the inertial shutoff switch. The car was in a minor accident last week a few day before the problem started.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 175000. Car starts and run fine until the engine stops. I starts right back up though.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a good friend who is a mechanic. He replaced the relay on Wednesday.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Likely I will work on with him but not until Monday. So, starting research. I think that covers the info that I have.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

what engine do you have?

does it run well when it is running?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The truck runs great and has been running very well. While waiting for this to get set up, I came across the idea of replacing the central junction box.

what engine do you have?

i will give you some test to help you find the problem..

i think it is a bad fuel shut off switch

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr444ibe1iwmpzz/0610-expedition-P0231.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/kr444ibe1iwmpzz/0610-expedition-P0231.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even with this, I'm leaning toward replacing the central junction box. I believe this will include the relay in question. My research has shown the box to be a problem on the 2003 Expedition.

PCM Power Relay is located in the Central Junction Box (CJB). Central Junction Box is located under dash panel, on the RH side.