Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Hmy 96 f350 is having a no start problem i ran it out of

Customer Question

hmy 96 f350 is having a no start problem i ran it out of fuel and now cranks but no start if i give it a small spray it starts but then slowly stops i have checked the oil and installed a new starter and batteries there seems to not have any fuel pressure at ths scharder valve on the side of the filter housing
JA: OK. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i have been i tech for about 25 years just do race cars now so out of tune on this stuff i have owned this truck since it was 6 months old it has 400k onit
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the oil level new batteries and starter pulled the fuel filter and put fuel in it have checked lines and there seems to be no fuel pressure at the valve on the filter housing
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: it will start with a spray of starting fliud but then shuts off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

So I can be of better assistance can you tell me what engine is in your f350?

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
7.3

unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with this motor so I will opt out and let some one else help. Sorry about that

I see no one has helped you yet, I can go ahead and give it a try if you want, I do have a lot of experience with diesels, just not this particular one. But I did look the motor up in the books.

your fuel pressure at the filter housing won't be much as you have a mechanical lift pump on the engine. The majority of the pressure will be from the injection pump.

Do you know how to bleed the fuel system in a diesel? if not I will help you with it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no can you help thanks
Do you know where the injection pump is and the 8 fuel lines are hooked to the injectors?

basically, you have to bleed the system of air to make it run. You have to crack the lines open at the injectors and turn have some one turn it over till diesel squirts out. then as it does close (or tighten) the line up. and do that to each injector till it starts. It will start after about 4 injectors are bled but will run rough till it gets the air out of the other lines. You may have to open the others up to assist with it as it is running. Let me know if you need any thing else with this.

Thanks

Sonny

I'm going to be signing off in a few min. But before I do, is there anything else I can help with?I'll also be back on early tomorrow so if I miss your reply now I can answer when I get back on.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
mmotor is a direct inj. motor everything is under the valve covers
thanks i will get back to this after i get back from a work trip thanks for the help
That is true, but the lines from the injection pump thread into the head I believe near where the injectors are which are under the valve cover. You can bleed it there. Or crack the lines loose at the back of the pump.
it's my pleasure.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny