James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

The climate control on my 2014 Edge Edge is malfunctioning.

Customer Question

The climate control on my 2014 Edge Edge is malfunctioning. Regardless if it is set on dual or individual the drivers side blows cold air while the passenger side blows hot. This has happened twice before and the Ford Dealer said this is a problem that Ford is aware of and is working on a solution. My understanding is I need to perform an on demand self-test on the HVAC module and clear all the codes and I am trying to find out how to do this to avoid another trip to the dealer.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, so the driver side will change from hot to cold but the passenger side is stuck in the hot position? Is this correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
That is a fault with the passenger side blend door motor. The blend door motor is what changes the passenger side from hot to cold. If you have an extended warranty or are under 36k miles it should still be under warranty.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi James,
Replacement of the blend door actuator is not needed.
Please read the file I attached with info attached to my last repair order from my dealer.
As I originally asked, I need to know how to clear the DTC codes from the EATC module. Can you tell me how to do this?
Thanks.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

That service message I haven't seen for a while. I will post the most recent one. Most of the time when engineering is working on a repair it involves programming issues inside the module.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

SSM 45784 - 2012-2014 Edge/MKX - Climate Control Stuck On Hot Or Cold Temperature Setting -With or Without DTCs B1082, B1083, B1086, B11E5, B11E6, And/or B11E7

Some 2012-2014 Edge/MKX vehicles may exhibit a condition where the climate control temperature is stuck in the full hot or full cold position. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) B1081, B1082, B1083, B1086, B11E5, B11E6, and/or B11E7 may or may not be present in the heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) module. Program the HVAC module to the latest level calibration using IDS version 100.01 or higher. Make sure you are connected to the internet when entering module programming to obtain the latest updates. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraftservice.com. For claiming, use causal part 19980 and applicable laboroperation(s) in the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual, Section 10.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

So you are correct this latest SSM that I listed came out within the last three weeks and reprogramming the HVAC module will correct the concern according to the engineers.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Hello, were you able to get your concern repaired?