virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I presently have 4 35 x 12.5 x 16.5 tires BF Goodrich All

Customer Question

I presently have 4 35 x 12.5 x 16.5 tires BF Goodrich All Terrains with American Racing rims 5 x 9.75 type -21 mm offset 8 lug Ford. One tire blew out and 16.5 tires are no longer available. I think I can replace 2 tires with LT315/75R 16's or 35x12.5R17's but have no idea of the rim size to match the tires and close to the old rims
1. Is this a good replacement for 2 tires and what is the difference between them?
2. What size rims do I get to closely match my current rims and will work with these new tires?
Category: Ford
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the current tires circumfrance is 109.9" and turns 577 revolutions in a mile. The 35x12.5x17 is exactly the same circumfrance @ 109.9" so turns 577 revs in a mile also. The 315/75r16s are 108.7" and turn 583 revs in a mile so would be slightly hard on transfer case when in 4x4 mode
As far as rims go. You can get the same specs as your current ones just in 17" model.
I don't know if they still make that exact specs. I just looked some up and I see -12 offset but no -21.

Was my replies helpful?

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your answer didnt exactly answer my question - what size rim do I need to get to match what I have now but for the new tire size.

as long as the bolt hole pattern and hub hole diameter is the same, then a 17" rim if you go with the 35/12.5R17. The last number is ***** rim size diameter that you need. So if you bought a 315/75r16 then you would need a 16" rim. Ford did a few stupid things over the years so as to make people buy there tires and rims. the 16.5" rim was one and later they did a 7 bolt hole rim.

But to answer your question if you buy the R17's then a 17" rim, if you buy the R16's then a 16" rim.

Is this what you are asking? or are you asking what rim out there is closest to what you currently have but in the new rims diameter?

Did that answer your question, or am I misunderstanding?

Was that what you were wondering or can I still be of assistance with this question?