Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I have a 2006 F150 ranch 5.4 L 2wd 4 door with 267000 Kms.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 F150 king ranch 5.4 L 2wd 4 door with 267000 Kms. It need about 15 seconds of cranking and pumping the gas to get it to start. Engine shakes pretty bad and I can get it to go on solid ground and set the cruise down the highway. Sometimes it throws it out of cruise control with cruise light still on and die and slow down. Which then I have to reapeatedly pump gas to speed up again. I tried going through soft gravel and it came to a complete stop and won't drive at all. When I pressed gas pedal in it would try to rev up but can't. In neatrul it will rev with some pumps to the gas pedal. I got through the the gravel by reving up to 3500 and kicking it into drive there. Hardly though. Brand new fuel filter if left at an idle engine shakes and knock and eventually shuts off. Think it's direct fuel injection and not plugs. Not 100% sure though. Can you help me with this. One code reader said 5,6,8 cylinder not firing. Other reader said number 1 is not firing. What should I do
Category: Ford
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.These engines had a few ignition problems. But it is 1 of 3 problems from your description.
1) bad coils which are very very common issues
2) plugged cat converter on bank 2
3) low fuel pressure, can be confirmed with a fuel pressure gaugeDo you have a fuel pressure gauge so we can start figuring out what is causing this issue?Thanks
Sonny.
How long ago was your last tune up?
Is this information helpful?

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bought the truck two years ago with 100000 Kms. Now it has 270000 kms. Never been tuned and it starts ok and runs after sitting for a couple days but starts to run very poor after about half a minute. I unplugged 3 plugs and it ran the same. When I unplugged the front plug on driver side it got worse. Could it be that I just need new spark plugs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It back fires to and my muffler bracket broke off in the back
it is very possible that it needs plugs. I would bet the coils are bad as well. Do a tune up and recheck. If it's still missing then replace ea coil that doesn't effect the engine when unplugged as you have done. if the coil is going bad it can cause a backfire as well.
Let me know what happens.Thanks
Sonny
Just a thought, as the plugs get worn it adds stress to the already weak design in the coils. Causing them to go out.
So my bet is after the tuneup you will be doing a couple of coils as well. But I would definatly do a tuneup as well if you have never done one since you got it. At a 100k I doubt the old owner did one either so it should be way past do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks guys. One quick question. What should I torque my tires to
Let me check. Give me a min.
Torque specs are 150ft lbs.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for that.
No problem. Would you mind rating my help?Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the purpose of the coil
It is what makes and supplies the spark to the spark plug at the right time.
I have strived for a 5 star rating. Would you mind rating my help positively?Thanks