Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

We are working on a 2011 Ford F-550 with a 6.7L TD. Code

Customer Question

We are working on a 2011 Ford F-550 with a 6.7L TD. Code P0088 continues to come up and put the truck in limp mode.
We have replaced the HPFP, Pressure control valve, Volume control valve and the Fuel rail pressure sensor.
At idle the fuel rail pressure steadily climbs until the truck defuels itself, the VCV and the PCV stay at the respectable percentages and do not move and the FRP continues to climb.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Most times code P0088 sets due a faulty fuel volume control valve solenoid (FVCV) or its circuit. I see you've replaced the FVCV as well as the fuel pressure control valve solenoid (FPCV).

Are you diagnosing this issue with a scan tool capable of commanding PIDs? If so, does the fuel flow from the left hand fuel rail while the F_VCV PID is commanded to the lowest duty cycle value and stop when the F_VCV PID is commanded to the highest duty cycle value?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are using a Ford IDS scan tool. The customer has stated that this has been a problem since they purchased the truck. Ford told them they need a whole entire fuel system. We checked for fuel contamination, and for signs of debris in the system and on the screens they is nothing. Could it be possible the injectors are clogged or the fuel return is too low on the fuel injectors?

Wow... I can't understand why someone would purchase a new truck and go through all of these issues from the get go and not return the darn thing under the Lemon Law. But, I guess that's something we mechanics don't get involved with... ;-)

You did not answer my question regarding fuel flow, so I can't say for certain. But I tend to agree with you and Ford in that contamination might have a lot to do with it - that's probably what those Ford boys meant when they said the whole system needed replacement.

I've seen this happen before on a truck whose owner was going through a nasty divorce situation and his spouse poured some weird stuff from her garden supplies into the fuel tanks. We ended up replacing everything, including injectors and both fuel tanks. Nasty, nasty stuff...