HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

We have a 2006 E350 extended van with a rear HVAC system

Customer Question

We have a 2006 E350 extended van with a rear HVAC system that will only put out heat when the AC is selected. Any ideas what this could be? Thank you
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaking lately?
Customer: There are about 120,000 miles and I have not noticed any leaking.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I hope too.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked the control system vacuum lines and they seem fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No, there are no customizations.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Inspect the vacuum temperature blend door actuator. Make sure it is hooked up properly and manually move the door, it should change from heat to ac, if it doesnt the door is broken. Vacuum test the actuator to see if it will hold vacuum and move. If it wont move or hold a vacuum, the actuator is bad, if its not getting a vacuum supply to move the door, you have a leak in the system from the front of the vehicle to the rear ac.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not had the opportunity to check the door actuator link. I have vacuum dropping out in the front AC and am trying to fix that first, not knowing if the vacuum loss could be causing the rear problem as well. I think that the vacuum reservoir, check valve, or maybe a line up in that area are leaking. For checking the door actuator do I need to remove the entire back lower trim panel? Or can I get to it through the vent?
Thank you!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, yes the front leaking will affect the rear system. Yes you will need to remove the trim panel to get a look at whats working. There could be a leak in a supply hose, bad check valve of crack in the vacuum resouvoir tank. You can mount a remote vacuum tank instead of pulling out the front ac evaporator to replace the factory vacuum tank if needed.