Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT, The truck came without the

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Ford F-150 XLT, The truck came without the tailgate flex step. My question is, if I purchase a tailgate flex step (FL3Z-99402A48-AA) can I use the existing tailgate? and if I can, is this primarily a bolt on installation. Best regards, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

I know on the earlier models the answer was NO. The bolt holes and mounting areas and the slide holes were not there. There were 2 different tailgates made. I have not had the covers off on the 2016 yet for a repair and the workshop manual Ford techs use just shows how to repair it, no information or images on both tailgates with and without the step and handle. To find out you will need to remove the cover on the top of the tailgate and the side facing the cab to see if the step can be mounted or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have selected a rating at the top of your page view for my first answer to grade my assistance. All follow up responses are free and welcomed. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was only going to purchase the step if it was comparable with the tailgate I have on the truck. Otherwise the cost of the project almost triples when a tailgate and paint are add in.My old knees are not as resilient as they once were. This is my first full size truck and I was not think about the in/out of the bed of the truck.Is there a number with Ford corporation I can call to get an answer. I did not want to do exploratory surgery to find out if the 2016 tailgate would work,Best regards,Bill

You could try Ford customer service from your owners manual?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.