HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2002 super duty stuck in 4 H. Electric shift switch cycling

Customer Question

2002 super duty stuck in 4 H. Electric shift switch cycling nothing happening tho front drive shaft still turns
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Everything original no leaks
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Front end always engaged no matter what position switch is in. Will not go to 4 L or 2 wheel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes wondering if something in Elric switch is broke preventing it from moving transfer case selector
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked relays they click. With truck in neutral
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: with key on truck in neutral and foot on brake ran selector thru 2wheel 4H and 4 L switch cycled at each position but still stayed in 4H
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Hello, is this a gas or diesel engine? You didnt see any water contamination in the relays when you inspected them?Have you done any recent modifications or repairs to the vehicle and now having this concern?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gas V 10. Not water electric switch cycles but not moving anything in transfer case
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Ok it could be an issue with the transfer case shift motor. Remove the motor from the case and see if the motor moves when you cycle the 4x4 switch. Inspect the driven shaft at the transfer case the shift motor turns. If the shaft is broken that would explain the 4x4 behavior. If it looks ok, you should be able to manually turn the shaft and put the truck in 4x2. If the motor is unrepsonsive.It could be a failed shift motor on the transfer case

Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.