Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Is this free advice? : thought so : 2001 F150 : myself : the

Customer Question

is this free advice?
JA: The Ford Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: thought so
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 F150
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the truck just died one morning after i went to start it to warm it up for my wife. i checked spark, it has spark, i can hear fuel pump kick on...changed fuel filter...have pressure in the rails....If I let it sit overnight, in the morning I will go try to start it and it will fire for about half a second and die. then it just cranks every other time i try to start it...let it sit over night and it's the same thing over and over....
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 140000
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
anyone there yet?
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 months ago.

Yes, Have you checked it for trouble codes in the on board diagnostic system. That is the best next step from where you are at. Most larger parts stores rent the device you need to read the codes. Odds are it is an electronic problem causing the injectors to not give it enough fuel to run. When it is cold it will inject a little more fuel, that is probably it tries to start in the mornings.

I am checking through a data base I keep at my shop, I am trying to see if there is a common failure for this model making it act like this. I will be right back with you.

What engine do you have