sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I was wondering if ford still has the 99 Ford Explorer key

Customer Question

I was wondering if ford still has the 99 Ford Explorer key code to have my key remade?
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: No scan tool motor is a 4 O
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Lost key to 99 Ford Explorer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes in a way
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is this a human
JA: I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: So that's a no
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I want to start need key code to my explorer I have title in my name and vin on hand
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, once they get over 10 years old, service information availble to pull key code starts to drop off, so you can try contacting your local ford dealer with proof of ownership of the vehicle to get a key cut. This should also be a PATS antihtheft key as well. If you lost the keys, you will need to have the keys reprogrammed to the vehicle using a dealer style scan tool and must have 2 keys to program the vehicle for it to run. Your other option is to get with a local locksmith that can cut and program keys on site and come to you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A locksmith or dealer will still be able to cut you a key using the VIN.