rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

When the engine is cold it backfires and cuts out. Once I

Customer Question

When the engine is cold it backfires and cuts out. Once I get the truck on the road and when heats up it runs fine no loss of power or backfiring runs fine. 2005 5.4 Triton. Have changed out all the coils, put in new injectors, changed the can censor, changed out the V-Tech solenoids and still has the same problem.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: Yes and it doesn't have a coolant sensor it has a cylinder head temperature sensor can that be the problem?
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: F 250 super Duty XLT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes Im hoping to fix it myself. Do you have any ideas of what the problem can be. Its only when is when the engine is cold. When it's warmed up it runs perfect.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's pretty much all of it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

A couple things to look for is a dirty MAF sensor and throttle body. A bad coolant temp sensor which is like a choke operation to richen the fuel mixture for a cold start. This is the most likely cause too.

Thanks, Ron