Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2003 Ford Escape. A/C not blowing cold air. Had

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Escape. A/C not blowing cold air. Had system recharged last summer without much improvement. I've read that the air temperature sensor is sometimes the problem and I might be able to replace it myself. Does that sound reasonable?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the thermostat ever been replaced?
Customer: About 92K. And, no, I don't recall if the thermostat has been replaced.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm a little handy, but I haven't tried any fixes on the AC yet. Just had the AC evacuated and recharged about 7,000 miles ago. Not much of an improvement though.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, nothing I can think of. Car is serviced regularly, however.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what air temp sensor you are referring to please.

Since you had the system recharged can you give me the pressure reading on the system on the low and high side?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had heard there was something called an "ambient air temperature sensor" that sometimes freezes up. That's all I know really. Regarding the pressure reading, I don't know really. I had a pressure and leak test and had the system recharged last year (and it seemed to work a little better afterwards). However, I never asked for readings and there's nothing on my receipt to say what the readings were.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Your 2003 Escape dose not use an ambient air temp sensor for the AC system . In order to determine what is causing the lack of cooling we will need to start with having the systems pressure checked. If you can get that done and post back with the results I will help you determine what is failing here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I'll do that.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Your very welcome, post back when you have them and we can work from there.