C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

1991 e350 5.8 runs then dies restarts when cool : Van runs

Customer Question

1991 e350 5.8 runs then dies restarts when cool
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Van runs but dies after awhile restarts when cool
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed some sensors
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Let me get them
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: There are no codes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

Okay this can be a few different things. I would first begin by checking for a restriction in the exhaust system. Many times these vehicle will get a plugged up exhaust causing it to stall out when hot. If you remove the front O2 sensor when it will not start and it will start chances are the catalytic converter is bad. If exhaust is clear test 2 get some carb or starting fluid and spray into the carb when it will not start. If it will run off alternative fluid this indicates you either have a bad fuel pump or the carb float is sticking closed. If that is not the issue I suspect your vehicle is losing spark this can be caused by the coil but that is very unlikely the first two are much more common on your vehicle.