Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Expert on older ('87) ford f150 w/ 351w. ***please read***

Customer Question

expert on older ('87) ford f150 w/ 351w. ***please read*** engine ran fine til last week small engine fire melted a couple ends on vac lines, some small plastic vac lines broke while swatting the fire out. Engine runs only while pegged gas pedal, when i let off gas pedal it dies, wont idle. *** i dont care how it runs just need to get running in next 48hrs!!! This might be easiest if remove emisions as it is farm truck
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My vac diagram
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The blue valve is disconected...not sure what goes there
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Need help in this pic...the nipple on bottom of carb is where i think the line from brake booster goes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All i need is it to run if someone can tell me how and what to remove as far emisions i think it will be a go
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is this? What goes here?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This red line goes to vac advance. Theres gotta be a way to remove alot of this BS and egr crap just to get it running
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This engine will run just fine if you disconnect all of the emissions . Find a Ported vacuum source on the carb (no vacuum at idle) and connect your vacuum advance to it. Plug any manifold vacuum sources off including the large port on the bottom from of the front side of the carb and if the carb is not having any issues it should run just fine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know if you saw it in the picture but there's two ports one coming off of the carburetor riser and then there's another part right in front of it coming out of the intake manifold does it matter which one the brake booster line goes to
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The one on the on the side of the carb you have marked in red should be ported vacuum and you can verify that by placing your finger over it with the engine at idle and there should be no vacuum, all of the rest of them need to be plug off so there are no vacuum leaks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thanks yes it is plugged into the vacuum advance right now I did that after I took that picture I just have one Lowe's from the vacuum advance to the side of the carb, it still won't idle with everything else blocked off I've just been taking things off trying different combinations but blue tree with two ports on it to the left of the distributor I have a feeling that should be connected Maybe I'm Wrong
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If there are any large vacuum port like the one under the front of the carb still open it will not idle. You need to make sure all vacuum source including any on the intake are plugged off. The only one you need is vacuum to the booster.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay well that helps as far as the EGR though I have a line that goes from the EGR to another bell-shaped diaphragm or something does that need to be connected or where can I disconnect the EGR from the emissions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have this posted up on some message boards and someone replied back and he said it was not a stock 4180 carb I did a little bit of Google searching as to what that means I'm not sure if someone was implying that that needs emissions to run that car or what but maybe you know
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

You do not need to plug the EGR vacuum line plugged in and if by chance you did and it was getting engine running vacuum it would open it and cause a hugh vacuum leak. Leave the EGR valve unplugged and also make sure its not stuck open. This engine will run just fine with vacuum advance . Nothing else needs to be connected , just make sure all open vacuum sources are capped off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry I'm a little confused to the wording on that last statement should I cap off lines to the EGR or leave them connected?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Unplug the vacuum supply line to the EGR and cap the lin off. If you sure the valve is seated (closed) nothing needs to be done to the vacuum port on it. It will not open with the vacuum line removed and should stay in the closed postilion.