Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Intermittent starting especially in hot weather

Customer Question

intermittent starting especially in hot weather
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 months ago.

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

This is a real common problem with the starter motor when it gets hot. It develops too high of resistance and wont work until the starter cools down. Long story short, there is a hot spot on the armeture of the starter and if it happens to land on that spot, it cant "push" voltage to the brushes inside the starter therefore creating high resistance. The starter will need to be replaced.

I strive for a 5 star positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.

If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.