Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2007 mustang won't start. When I try to turn it on, the

Customer Question

My 2007 mustang won't start. When I try to turn it on, the hazard lights start flashing.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine starts fluttering, and the battery is charged.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Also the theft light on the dash is blinking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I can hear the alarm trying to sound on the right side of the car.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Fixing it on my own is my only option
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about the anti theft system?
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

do you have the dash all lighting up as normal?

as if you do then its unlikely to be the security system

if the dash is cold and dark then yes its the immobilser

and the 1st thing to try is charging the main battery and also to replace the battery in the key fob

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you