HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2013 Expedition EL with EATC. Back air is not blowing...wont

Customer Question

2013 Expedition EL with EATC. Back air is not blowing...wont come on. Doesnt matter if I have it on front control or rear control.
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: yesterday. 65000.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: no air blowing in back. doesnt respond at all to commands from front or back controls.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Hello you dont have any blower motor in the rear at any speeds? Have you tried banging on the rear blower motor to see if it comes back on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no. It wont blow at any speed. I have not tried to bang on it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dont know where it is located. I assume driver side in the back.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

It is most likely a failed blower motor if it wont work on any speed and you you the selctor door in the rear ac unit move when you select floor or roof modes. Try banging on the motor and if it comes on, the motor is defective, if not, verify it has power and ground to the motor, if it does the motor is defective.It is located behind the right rear quarter trim panel in the rear of the vehicle

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Its behind this panel

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there not a self diagnostic test anymore on EATC?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

No on the newer models the self diagnostic function is not available, if it was it would only test the front system, not the rear.You need a dealer style scan tool to run a diagnostic on it now

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You talking about OBD-II tester?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Yes but a dealer style one that can communicate with the DATC system, it wont set a code for a failed blower motor

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you you the selctor door in the rear ac unit move when you select floor or roof modes. Im not sure what you are saying here...are you saying just check the door?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

No check the blower motor, see if it has power and ground, try banging on it see if it comes on

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah I get that...but are you saying also check the selector door? I understood about motor...not understanding the part I quoted. I will get back with you tomorrow and let you know what happened...hanging it up for the night.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

If you heard the rrear blend doors move in the rear ac box.Not as important as the blower operation itself

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got in it this morning and came to work. The back AC worked great. I turned it off and then back on. Switched it to rear control and it still worked. Using rear control I changed the temp from cold to hot...it switched from top vents to floor no problem. Cycled through all the different speeds and it worked great. Now I am really confused. I am thinking it definitely has to be the blower motor considering it is working intermittently.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Yes, that is correct, the blower motor will fail again once it gets hot enough. Just verify when it doesnt work it has power and ground or hit it and see if it comes back on. Very common issue.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern? The question remains open until you rate it