HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

03 powerstroke . Was missing real bad when cold so I changed

Customer Question

03 powerstroke . Was missing real bad when cold so I changed the oil and now it's much worse and does it all the time. No abnormal smoke at all !
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Hello, with it missing, id suspect an issue with a bad injector, especially when it does it more when cold. Is the check engine light on or flashing? do you have access to a scan tool to run a diagnostic check for codes and check some live sensor data?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No check engine light . No access to a diag tool . But I can try to pull a code with my tuner . It has an old bully dog power pup
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
U0204
P0401
P132;
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Ok do that and see what you is stored or pending. With a tuner, sometimes the tuner programming can become corrupt and need removed and installed, but from what you are describing it sounds like an injector has failed. P0401 is an egr fault code. Remove the egr valve and inspect for carbon buildup. With the valve removed make sure there is good flow out of where it mounts. Fire the engine up with the valve removed and check for good flow and for carbon buildup inside the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
take the intake manifold off ? Or pull the intake tubing and inspect ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would the egr valve cause any of these symptoms ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Remove the egr valve at the front of the engine it mounts in the intake. If the intake is plugged up with carbon buildup it will need to be removed and cleaned, if it is bad you may need to remove and clean the turbo as well. It can cause drivability issues yes, but running like it has a miss id inspect the egr first. You may still have an injector issue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do . Should I get new gaskets before I remove ? Or are they reusable ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Egr valve you can pull and reinstall, anything else would need replacement, intake gaskets etc. SInce you have an egr fault, need to go after that first

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great ��
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

If you need more help just let me know, if I was helpful please leave a positive rating

Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?