Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Tried the wrong key in my 2000 ranger and now the right one

Customer Question

Tried the wrong key in my 2000 ranger and now the right one wont work due to the security system. Truck wont start.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is ok
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: disconnecting battery and reconnecting
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: tried disconnecting the security module under glove box.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Please give me a few minutes to type a response. I'm a slow typer.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Bad news for you. Since you disconnected the module on the vehicle, you have to reprogram it for the keys for the truck. There is no way around that. The PATS system is seeing that the vehicle was attempted to be stolen and it locked it into theft mode. The master key was needed to start the vehicles after and the one you are using is not set as the master key and that is why it wouldn't start. Now you unplugged the module which wiped the settings in it and it now needs to be programmed. Unfortunately, without that programming, it won't start at all.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,

they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I don't know how to rate you because I would need a 2nd opinion to know if the information is correct. So when I feel satisfied the info is right, I will rate you if that is possible later.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.

Rate when comfortable.

You can seek a second question on here for a second opinion from another expert if needed.

I just stated the facts based on what you provided me. I program these systems all day, every day for I'm the network engineer and the electrician for my shop.

Have a good day.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

This is auto timed message due to no rating received or closure of the question.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.

Please note for subscribers. Ratings are still required, even if you are on the subscription service. Please rate with confidence.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had the truck hauled to a Ford dealership to get it reprogrammed, as you said was needed, and all they did was some simple maintenance on the battery terminals and charged me $82. So I could have got it done much more cheaply at some other shop. I didn't rate you because I wanted to be nice and not give you a bad rating for your incorrect answer.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.

I seriously doubt that is all they did on this. I work on these daily and never had it be only that. I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem right to me.

I will need to see the bill on this.

Have a good day.