Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My daughter bought a 2012 Ford Focus from Drive Time a few

Customer Question

My daughter bought a 2012 Ford Focus from Drive Time a few months ago. Have replaced the battery. At least three times now had the starting problem that others complain about. Tirn ignition, just a whimper.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 90, 400. NEW battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am not a mechanic. y daughter thinks I am nuts. But, I see many other people are having the sam problem.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not in a position right now to start diagnosing between starter, alternator, [lugs, lor in thids case a loose connecion in the ignition wires.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Nope. everything else is up to cdate.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 10 months ago.

If you have a volt meter we can test the alternator real easy....let me know please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Don't have one.

Thanks,

If you can get it jump started you can drive it to any parts store like Autozone and they will test it for free. I have a good suspicion the alternator is not charging the battery. Pretty common on this car.

Larry

They will also loan you a volt meter for free and you can bring it home to test with if that helps.