Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

My daughter bought a 2012 Ford Focus from Drive Time a few

Customer Question

My daughter bought a 2012 Ford Focus from Drive Time a few months ago. Have replaced the battery. At least three times now had the starting problem that others complain about. Tirn ignition, just a whimper.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 90, 400. NEW battery.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am not a mechanic. y daughter thinks I am nuts. But, I see many other people are having the sam problem.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not in a position right now to start diagnosing between starter, alternator, [lugs, lor in thids case a loose connecion in the ignition wires.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Nope. everything else is up to cdate.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 4 months ago.

If you have a volt meter we can test the alternator real easy....let me know please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't have one.

If you can get it jump started you can drive it to any parts store like Autozone and they will test it for free. I have a good suspicion the alternator is not charging the battery. Pretty common on this car.

They will also loan you a volt meter for free and you can bring it home to test with if that helps.